Tuesday, October 25, 2011

White Bean Chicken Chili

I love those certain recipes where I can just stick something all into my bean pot, pop it in to the oven and forget about it. I especially enjoy the "pop it in the oven and forget it about it" meals on days that all four of my kids are in school (that only happens 2 days a week since my youngest is in part time kindergarten). It gives me the chance to do one of the other millions of things a mom has to keep up with! Or enjoy a quiet cup of tea while thumbing through the new Pottery Barn catalog...who needs clean laundry anyway! 

I decided to dig through the internet and find a healthy white bean chicken chili recipe that I have never tried. In my house, if you announce to the kingdom of picky eaters that you are trying a new recipe its like they all go running from vampires, throw up their fingers in the cross symbol and put on their garlic necklaces in protest of trying something new. No...they do not make my job easy when it comes to trying new things.  

I found this recipe online. I figured it didn't have a bunch of complicated ingredients that might make my family melt if they tried it and minus the cheese & sour cream (for me) it was polite to my waistline!

I made a couple minor tweaks to the recipe by adding in one extra can of white beans and one cup of fire roasted frozen corn from Trader Joes. Everything is hearty and healthy and with a fresh wheat baguette it becomes a meal that will fill up my man!


The most elbow grease that was put into this recipe was browning the meat...


and rinsing the beans!!


Then it all gets poured into my bean pot...


and slow cooked in the oven on 325 for a couple hours! Way too simple!! 


I bet your dying to know the verdict from my family...
Well, my youngest ended up eating a peanut butter and jelly sammy, the older girls had seconds and my husband said "save this recipe!!" 

There was not a drop left at the bottom of my bean pot!!

I cant wait to try more recipes in my new bean pot. I think I am going to try applesauce next. What will my family think if they realize applesauce actually comes from apples and not out of a container that says Motts??? Dun-dun-dun-duuuun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Inspiration? Love? Share with me!