Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Photography class is making my heart sing!

I apologize for my blogger absence:)

I have been a busy bumble bee! 

I started photography and photoshop classes recently and all I have been doing is reading, reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures as the weather permits! Can I say that never in my wildest dreams did I think that there was so much to the DSLR?! Especially my older version of the Canon Rebel! I don't just want to go by the book and set this thing-a-ma-jiggy on that setting or set that doo-hicky on this setting...I want to know "WHY" for everything that goes on in my camera. I am totally getting in touch with my inner geek. I have been pouring through books, the internet and good old youtube for as much info as I can possibly get. By the way, for some great photography tutorials on youtube check out fontanaknowlege. Grrreat channel!

As far as my work has been coming along I have a couple cool pictures to share. 

Taylor...


And no we didn't bring a fan. It was windy! LOL. Can you believe this reflective light I stumbled upon? It was very strong sunlight reflecting off of a glass building. We were coming to an end of a little photo shoot that I felt was unsuccessful. I was getting frustrated putting all the pieces of information together that I had recently learned and as we were walking away from our shooting area this light hit my daughter and I yelled out "work it girl!" and of course being the camera loving teen aged girl that she is...she worked it! I love this picture because it is completely unedited. It is exactly what I shot that day.

Betsey the crazy dog...


I think you can safely say that when you have been bitten by the photography bug you start obsessing over lenses. I decided to go to Pro Photo Supply in Portland to make my first lens purchase. I chose the 50mm 1.4 lens. This lens is great for portraits and low light situations. After my purchase I asked the sales guy "what should a beginner like me get next?!"...I think this is going to be trouble! After Betsey's little photo shoot she got a cookie for being so patient while I fumbled around with my new lens and settings. She is such a good little dog:)

Our homework this week is to do a portrait of a stranger, someone you do not know at all. Talk about getting out of your comfort zone! I feel sorry for some of the men in the class who have to go up to a stranger and say "excuse me, can I take your picture?!" I am a little nervous about this one...but I will let you all know how it goes.

Thank you for bearing with me as I venture off into photography for a bit. I promise I will be back into my crafty, decorating mode! I just need learn the proper way to take pictures of my projects!

Until next time,
Have a great week!

Kama




2 comments:

  1. *Great* picture of your daughter. Looks like a head shot...maybe it should be one, she's so pretty!! Good job with your newfound knowledge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your daughter has to "work" it!! What a natural beauty!! thanks for sharing!
    Pink Hugs,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Inspiration? Love? Share with me!