Monday, November 8, 2010

Putting together the master bedroom on a budget...

I love being a cheap. If there is anything I want or need you better bet I have a coupon, will find it on clearance or find it used somewhere. My obsession with being thrifty is how I put together our master bedroom (as well as the rest of the house) and has also become my #1 hobby! 
When we first relocated from San Diego to Washington we came from a 1050 (yes you read it right) square foot home to a 1900 square foot home. Down south you can get away with having a small house because you can literally live outside year round. Our front and backyard was always an extension of our home. It is not so much like that here in the north west! When we first got here we couldn't believe the space we had just moved in to. IT FELT HUGE. We were obviously new in town! LOL! We quickly learned that being cooped up for several long, dreary, cold, wet months that the six of us needed more space. Luckily for us we had the opportunity to move across the street in to our current home THAT IS HANDS DOWN MY MOST FAVORITE HOUSE WE HAVE EVER LIVED IN. Going from a three bedroom house to a four bedroom house and then to a five bedroom house has been a dream come true for our big family! Everyone has their own space, we don't feel packed like sardines anymore and best of all we all love it here...not just for the house but because we have a great neighborhood.

One of my favorite rooms in the house is our master bedroom. It is nice and roomy for Jason and I. It looks over the wooded green belt that has a creek that runs through it. At night we leave our windows open so we can hear the water running through the backyard. It is so peaceful. When we first moved here we had a hodge-podge of old things that was schlepped from house to house. When we finally decided it was time for a room makeover I hit the internet and scoured good old craigslist for weeks until I finally found our master bedroom set. I was the first one to call and got it for $500! The original price tag was over $4000 because it came from Basset Furniture. The owner "just wanted something new." 

I say "Score for us!"


I really wanted to soften the look in the room by keeping the curtains light. I didn't want to take away from the gorgeous view outside either! So I found these "Ritva"curtains at Ikea that came in a two pack of panels for only $19.99. I picked up the rods and clips at Walmart and I love the way it turned out. 


Here is "her" side...


And here is "his" side...
(I caved on the TV so we could snuggle up and watch movies but I put my foot down on having cable in the bedroom. I am just not a fan of having a TV in the bedroom).


My little bargain jewelry box I found at Target on after Christmas clearance for $15 that just so happens to match pretty well...


On top of that I put this old German bible I found at an estate sale that was in a box marked "free." It is from the mid 1800's. It makes me wonder about the person who brought it to the states...


The rest of my odds and ends came from various places. My duvet is about four years old and I scored it on ultra clearance at Pottery Barn. My lamps and cream quilt are from good old Walmart and my little perfume tray is from the Goodwill. It was a tacky gold color but it was nothing a can of black spray paint couldn't fix! The little candle holder above the bed was from Target (it is my Pottery Barn knock off!). 

I like it in here...it is quiet and calm. It is my little hideaway when all the kids are in bed and I want to snuggle up with a Nicholas Sparks book by candlelight:) I tried to keep things neutral, simple and un-girly for the hubs, although I did manage to sneak in a little zebra print on the bed! Best of all it was easy on the wallet to achieve the feel I was looking for. It just took some time, patience and elbow grease to get there. I am constantly inspired by so many wonderful bloggers out there who give me so many ideas and keep my wheels spinning! This room is still a work in progress. I have a few more things planned but for now its all good and I love it!

Hope you all have a great week~
Kama    

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job on your bedroom. It's beautiful, yet liveable at the same time. I know completely what you are talking about since we moved to Oregon from California - here we live inside most of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful furniture - can't believe people want rid of stuff like that - well done you for being in the right place at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bedroom is really nice. the sleigh bed is awesome! We have found a ton of really nice furniture on Craigslist and at consignment stores for the lake house we bought last year.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Inspiration? Love? Share with me!