Monday, October 25, 2010

I love my job!

Yes you read it right..."I love my job!"
For the most part I am a stay at home mama until Friday and/or Saturday nights roll around. I get to work a couple nights a week at a local bistro/wine shop/catering company named K'Syrah. I am very lucky to be able to work there not only because it is WHAT I LOVE TO DO but because the fun ladies I work with have become close friends of mine.

The owner, Kelly Bruce is so creative and outstanding in what she does that I am very lucky to be working along side of her...she has taught me a great deal about cooking, event planning and of course wine! Our only downside as a team is that the both of us DO NOT like to bake! This requires us to stand still and have patience which both of us have a hard time with! We like being able to run around the kitchen shaking hot pans, throwing food together and tossing things in and out of the oven without the tedious restrictions that go along with baking. 

Saturday night we put on a wine dinner with Nicholas Cellars. Our guests enjoyed a five course meal that was carefully paired with a glass of wine. While they enjoyed our deliciously prepared food the winemaker joined them and explained how they select only the best fruit farmed by growers dedicated to low yields, outstanding fruit expression and sustainable practices.

Take a look at our menu for the special event:



First Course

Savory Mini-Blue Cheese Tart with a Port Reduction
2006 GraEagle Red Wing
Second Course

Smoked Duck Salad
Sliced smoked duck resting on a bed of baby greens tossed with a Bing Cherry Vinaigrette
Dauphine 2006
Third Course

Lamb Chops with White Beans and Gremolata
Rich and mild lamb chops resting on a bed of rosemary and garlic infused white beans. Finished with a fresh herb and lemon gremolata
Michelle 2006
Fourth Course

Beef Medallions
Seared beef medallions and decadent Gorgonzola Bread Pudding
finished with a rich red wine and shallot pan sauce
Camille 2006
Dessert

Chocolate-Raspberry Torta
2006 Reserve

Although the menu seems complicated,  with careful planning and preparation each course was successfully executed and everyone was licking their plates! A good sign that we have done well is that there is no food coming back to the kitchen!

I love preparing for parties and special events and we have done it under all kinds of circumstances...this past summer we pulled off a wedding of 200 guests with NO RUNNING WATER OR ELECTRICITY! No joke, it was a caterers nightmare but we pulled it off. We just put our big girl pants on, slapped on some smiley faces and busted our behinds to get it done!  We have also pulled off events in garages, freezing cold rain, tiny kitchens and believe it or not, construction sites. While it becomes stressful at the time we are always able to look back and laugh!

I also love to help do the tablescapes.  Having all the candles lit for the guests, Michael Buble singing in the background, hearing corks pop, people laughing and having a great time makes my heart sing! Entertaining is one of my favorite things about my job!

Although our five course menu didn't leave much room for decorating our tables I still think the tables looked great with all the wine glasses waiting for our guests to sit and enjoy our "family style" meal...


Now who is ready to taste some wine?! That is a lot of wine glasses! And to make sure the wine has had the proper amount of time to breathe and taste correctly with our meal we always have to "quality control!" I mean after all we would never want our guests to leave the bistro having tasted a less than perfect wine! I would say this is another highlight to my job! But just "a taste" because we have a lot of work to do and stay focused on!

Here we are, my friends and co-workers, Brenda (our outstanding head server/bartender), Kelly (the proprietor/chef) and myself (chef's assistant/server/everybody's "go to" girl)...

We had a great evening and a lot of fun pulling off yet another successful wine dinner at K'Syrah Bistro!

Hope you all had a great weekend as well!

Kama

2 comments:

  1. Hi! OH I am soooo glad you left a comment on my blog because I remembered another blogger recommending we stop by and get to know you but then I couldn't remember the name of your blog! I just realized how many times I said "blog"! :-)
    Anyway, I can't wait to get to know you better and so happy you stopped by and I'm totally jealous of your double life working in a fantastic wine bar/restaurant with the cutest name ever!
    Look forward to seeing you this weekend at the Soup Exchange!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog. You have great taste in decorating and great with a budget. On top of that you can cook! Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Inspiration? Love? Share with me!